Saturday, February 16, 2008

Cooking Light

Tonight's rant is about cooking. A little bit of history first. I'm an experimental cook, and since getting hitched I've tried cooking numerous items. Some tasty, some not so tasty. I'm currently at home and not working (well I am working remotely but let's not stray from the topic) so I feel even more pressure to actually cook decent meals at night for the both of us (three of us if you include the little salsa eating parasite inside of me). So today was a usual Saturday except that I have been having morning sickness that lasts until about 2pm daily, which doesn't always include barfing but always includes stomach aches and queasiness. G (hubbie) went to the gym in the morning (after popping dirty clothes into the laundry which I eventually had to finish and watch like a hawk since we live in an apartment). I couldn't figure out what to make for lunch for the both of us (key word is BOTH...when I was single I would eat the most random things like sandwich meat straight out of the bag or tunafish on crackers) so I made a frozen pizza. G came home and ate it without complaint. I decided that dinner should be a bit better so I took out the meat for kebabs to defrost. My kebabs have come out wonderfully in the past and praised by hubbie so I figured this was a good Saturday night dinner. Plus, I don't add eggs to the meat to hold it together as some people do, so I save on calories and serve vegetables, bread, and lowfat yogurt alongside.

Well G decides today is the day to start complaining about the fat content of our food. Normally I wouldn't mind at all, since I'm prone to worrying about my own weight when it starts to creep up....but I am annoyed because this was the first day I made a pizza in a long time, and, everytime we go out to eat at a restaurant or at someone's home, G eats like he's a refugee from some impovershed country stricken by famine. It's so hypocritical. At home he removes the fat free cheese from the veggie burger or eats only sherbert for desert. But at a friend's house he proudly proclaims how he's eaten enough for the next 3 meals and there is no sign of removing cheese or eating only low fat foods.

I mean, if you are on a mission to lose weight, shouldn't you be consistent?For example, let me summarize the eating on our recent trip to India. My philosophy is "save myself from getting sick but still try all the good food" and G's philosophy is "eat until it starts to regurgitate and smell up his breath." After our wedding, (we were there for 2 months, the first month was the wedding festivities and preps and the second month was visiting relatives). G gained a total of 12-14 lbs on this trip. I gained as well, but about 5 lbs and that was mostly due to eating alongside G. (I gained much more weight later in the States with the pregnancy etc.). I doubt I was hungry or starving one single day in India...everywhere we go, either to a relatives house or out sightseeing, there is FOOD. And Indian's snack like crazy before and after meals. I loved hanging out with my new hubbie and I usually enjoyed the roadside food. And I liked how G was enjoying himself as well. But geezus... Yes I still love my hubbie.

So today I put back the defrosted kebab meat and decided to eat whatever random food (refried beans) for myself and also heated a lovely weight watchers frozen turkey dinner. G eventually made pulav (indian rice dish). Go fig.

No comments: